Spot on
Spot on

Saturday, September 13

The photographer of the famous 'falling' picture of one of the WTC jumpers writes about his photo in the LA Times. It's a beautifully written piece (worth registering for access to read it):

Watching the tragedy unfold messed me up for a long time. I still take note of every plane I hear flying overhead, wondering if it's friend or foe. But neither the photograph nor the initial reaction to it disturbs me. People ask how I could coldbloodedly photograph someone dying. I never saw it that way. I made a photographic record of someone living the last moments of his life. And every time I look at it, I see him alive.

I have photographed dying. As a 21-year-old rookie photographer on a supposedly routine assignment, I was standing behind Robert F. Kennedy when he was assassinated. That time, there was no telephoto lens to distance me. I was so close that his blood spattered onto my jacket. I saw the life bleed out of him, and I heard Ethel's screams. Pictures that, shot through my tears, still distress me after 35 years. But nobody refused to print them, as they did the 9/11 photo. Nobody looked away.


I can't be the only one asking: My G-d. How is anybody over this?

Via Instapundit
# Posted 1:57 AM by Karol


Home
Site Meter